The Mini-Beadbeater-Plus™ is our upgraded version of the venerable Mini-BeadBeater-1. It is a high-energy single-vial bead-mill used to disrupt cells of biological samples. The Mini-BeadBeater-Plus can also grind samples of friable minerals or organic materials. Up tp 0.4 g of material is placed in a 2 ml microvial containing glass-, ceramic- or steel beads and "beadbeat" for 10 to 99 seconds. Typically, in a busy afternoon, about 20 samples can be processed for analysis. For much larger sample through-put, see our multi-vial MBB-16, MBB-24 and MBB-96 . Protocols developed using the Mini-BeadBeater-PLUS transfer to other Mini-BeadBeater models .
Cat. No. 1018, Mini-BeadBeater-Plus, 110/220 volt
Note: Required vials and beads vary with the particular sample being disrupted and should be purchased separately. For guidance on selecting Beads and Vials see the links in Browse box in the left margin of this web page. If you would like to discuss your application with a technical expert e-mail us or give us a call at 918-336-3363.
Our Price : $0.00
The Mini-BeadBeater-Plus™ is a high energy shaker designed to violently agitate microbial or tissue samples a sealed microcentrifuge vial containing tiny glass, zirconia or steel beads.
Resistant yeast or fibrous tissues are completely homogenized in about 1-3 minutes in 1.0 ml of homogenization medium. The non-foaming, non-aerosol method is ideal for recovery of enzymes, nucleic acids and intracellular organelles. Applications include PAGE, PCR and diagnosis using antibody or oligonucleotide probes. DNA or RNA is recover in high yield by simultaneous disruption and extraction in media containing phenol, guanidinium-SCN or media provided in numerous commercial kit reagents. Sterile technique is easily accommodated for the recovery of intracellular virus and bacteria from plant and animal cells.
The Mini-BeadBeater-Plus is also used for dry grinding. Here, heavier zirconia or steel beads are used in the absence of liquid media. Special breakage-resistant microvials are used. Hard samples such as hair, bone, teeth, seeds, and minerals are powdered in 5 - 60 seconds. Softer materials such as fresh biological tissue, rubber or plastics also can be powdered after being hard-frozen at liquid nitrogen temperatures (cryo-grinding).
Link to Selected Applications Using the Mini-Beadbeater.
- Motor: High torque, brushless motor with 4X greater power than commonly used brush motors.
- Dimensions: 10 inches width, 9 inches depth, 6 inches height, shipping weight 10 pounds
- Digital: Touch pad speed control: 1-99 seconds.
- Precise microprocessor-controlled speed: 4350 oscillations/minute (rpm)
- Throw or vial displacement of 0.75 inches in the more efficient horizontal direction.
- Uses standard laboratory 2.0 ml, screw-cap microvials having a sharp conical bottom.
- Cell or tissue capacity: 10 - 400 mg (wet weight)
- CE certified
- Versatile - processes up to 400 mg (wet weight) of bacteria, yeast, algae, tissue culture cells, and plant and animal tissue.
- Simple to operate with intuitive digital controls.
- Two programmable time presets.
- Safety interlock lid design.
- Totally sealed homogenization - no dangerous aerosols.
- Uses disposable 2 ml screw-cap microvials - no sample cross-contamination.
- Proven, near horizontal shaking with a compressed figure-8 (3-D) pattern.
- Powered by a maintence-free, high torque brushless motor.
- Dual voltage operation, 110 or 220 volt.