BioSpec Products now features 96-well microplates and sealing mats manufactured by Porvair Sciences. These microplates offer the highest level of processing reliability when used with our high-energy Mini-BeadBeater-96 cell disrupter and bead mill.
Porvair Science's reinforced polypropylene, 2 ml square 96 deep well microplates have extra structural ribbing on their bottom which provides extra support when used with a high energy shaking bead mill. Their microplates are made of specially formulated polypropylene and are designed to pair with special reusable mats. Microplates can also be sealed with adhesive-bonded or heat-bonded films, but these films seldom prevent leaking during intense shaking in a Mini-BeadBeater-96.
Recently, BioSpec tested plate/mat combinations made of several manufacturers using steel beads in both wet grinding and dry grinding conditions. It was concluded that the performance of the Porvair plates exceeded that of all other commercially-available deep well microplates tested. The Porvair plates and mats maintained their structural integrity while powdering samples of human hair with two 3.2 mm chrome steel beads in the Mini-BeadBeater-96. In contrast, other plates cracked during use or even had holes punched through them under these severe grinding conditions. A leading UK contract genomics lab independently supports these findings. They testing barley seeds, a notoriously hard carpel to crack, and reported that Porvair deep well microplates survived 4 minutes of bead beating using a single 6 mm steel in a high speed shaking bead mill.
If you would like to compare structural integrity and leak resistance of your currently deep well plate/mat combinations, contact us for a simple testing procedure.
- Plates are made from virgin polypropylene
- Mats are made from EVA
- Tested for low extractables
- Tight specification levels
- V bottom to allow total liquid removal, partial collection and to aid re-suspension
- No inner edges to allow better collection of magnetic beads
- Manufactured under DNase/ RNase free environment
- Plates are autoclavable
- Working volume of 2ml
- Raised well rims to improve heat sealing
- Conical base which aids sample concentration, reconstitution, and centrifugation
- Plates and mats are DNase / RNase free