BioSpec Products now features 96-well microplates and sealing mats manufactured by Porvair Sciences. When used with our high-energy Mini-BeadBeater-96 cell disrupter and bead mill these microplates offer the highest level of processing reliability
Porvair Science's reinforced polypropylene, 2 ml square 96 deep well microplates have extra structural ribbing on their bottom which provides support when used with a high energy shaking bead mill. Their microplates are made of specially formulated polypropylene and pair with special reusable mats. The microplates can also be sealed with adhesive-bonded or heat-bonded films, but these films seldom prevent leaking during intense shaking in a Mini-BeadBeater-96.
Recently, BioSpec tested plate/mat combinations made by several manufacturers using steel beads in both wet-grinding and dry-grinding conditions. In one of the most stringent tests, Porvair microplates and mats maintained structural integrity while powdering dry samples of human hair in the Mini-BeadBeater-96 using two 3.2 mm chrome steel beads in each well . In contrast, other plates cracked during use or even had holes punched through them under the same severe grinding conditions. Independent support for these findings comes from a leading UK contract genomics laboratory. Testing barley seeds, a notoriously hard carpel to crack, they reported that Porvair deep well microplates survived 4 minutes of bead beating using a single 6 mm steel in a high speed shaking bead mill.
- Plates are made from virgin polypropylene
- Mats are made from EVA
- Tested for low extractables
- Tight specification levels
- V-bottom to allow total liquid removal, partial collection and to aid re-suspension
- No inner edges to allow better collection of magnetic beads
- Manufactured under a DNase/ RNase free environment
- Plates are autoclavable
- Working volume of 2ml
- Raised well rims to improve heat sealing
- Conical base which aids sample concentration, reconstitution, and centrifugation